On This Day In History
- 1782 - Congress adopts the Great Seal of the United States after six years of discussion.
- 1867 - US President Andrew Johnson announces the Alaska Purchase that had been agreed upon in March for about 2 cents per acre.
- 1893 - A jury of 12 acquits Lizzie Borden of murdering her father and step-mother in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
- 1911 - The NAACP is incorporated in New York.
- 1921 - Alice Robertson (R-Oklahoma) becomes the first woman to chair the House of Representatives.
- 1924 - Minnie Spotted Wolf is born. In 1942, she became the first full Native American woman to join the Marine Corps Women’s Reserve.
- 1975 - Jaws is released in theaters
- 2003 - Jimmy Wales establishes the Wikipedia Foundation.
Quote of the Day
“No one leaves home unless
Home is the mouth of a shark…
No one puts their children in a boat
Unless the water is safer than the land.”
—Warsan Shire, from her poem, "Home"
On the Punny Side
I love dad jokes, but I don't have kids
Which makes me a Faux Pa.